Rights of victims living
in another eu member state

If you are a victim of crime at the territory of another member state of the European Union, the situation might be particularly uncomfortable for you. Apart from fear related to the incident you may suffer due to a language barrier and the lack of knowledge about whom to contact to seek help.You should know then that in all EU member states you enjoy the same rights as any citizen of that country and the authorities in that state are required to provide relevant help.

First and foremost, you may contact a Polish consulate at the territory of a country where a crime was committed.You will then receive relevant assistance by the consul, and you will be instructed about further steps regarding your protection and rights. You can contact a police station directly in the country where the crime took place.The police will receive your crime notification and if you do not speak their language, you have the right to be assisted by an interpreter who will help you communicating with the authorities and guide you regarding local procedures. On your request, the police has to inform the Polish consul about the situation.

If you are a victim at the territory of another EU member state and do not notify local police about the crime, you can do it once you are back in Poland. Then, the matter is transferred to authorities of a relevant state where the crime took place.Any procedure, such as interrogation, can be performed using legal assistance or cooperation between the authorities at the domicile of the victim and those in the country where the crime took place. If you have to be interrogated by the authorities of that state, this can be done at the Polish court or through a videoconference.

You should also remember that if the crime took place abroadand you suffered a loss of health, you are entitled to a compensation from that country to cover the cost of your medical treatment. In such an instance, the perpetrator does not have to be caught. You need to contact your district prosecutor and file a request for compensation. Your request, together with necessary documentation, is transferred to the authorities in the member state where you became a victim.